Still noodling around getting the mellower mixes ready. Meantime, here is a mix to play loud, or it will be once I get the tracks into the interweb. Some guitar shredding, some C86 girrl bands, and general loud mayhem.
1) Love Fade (Tamaryn) Kiwi living USA – excellent shoegazey stuff.
2) Julie K (T54) CHCH band named after a tank. 3) Young Pros (Bass Drum of Death) 2 piece from from Mississippi 4) Year’s Not Long (Male Bonding) shop assistants make music. 5) Into The Depths (Soft Moon) Described in a review as “a San Francisco-based neo-post-punk band “
6) The Green Goblin (Weekends) 2 young guys from Baltimore, Maryland, lots of feedback.
7) In Between Buses (Las Robertas) Costa Rican all-girl band. Audience is way too cool…
8) With You Alone (Woven Bones) Garage band / surf rock if you like. From Austin, Texas. 9) Veil (Weekend) & 10) Coma Summer (Weekend) Excellent noise makers from San Fran. These tracks from the album Sports. You can hear a ‘live’ studio mix of Veil here.
11) Throw The Water (Flight) Noisy like the end of the world will be, which coincidentally is the theme of their next song – see track 22. Term their sound “2-step / Death Metal”. Buy tunes here. 12) Teacher (Surf City) Excellent, excellent. Looking fwd to seeing them after they finish touring the colonies, appear to be on their way to Calgary in Canada. 13) Burning Mirrors (Lumerians) Hypno-drone space rock – Can meets Cave meets Black Moth Super Rainbow 14) Marianne (Ceremony) More shoegaze from Fredericksburg, Virginia.
15) Young Throats (Parenthetical Girls) Take their music seriously ‘- “Limited to 500 physical copies per EP, the 12″s will each feature original art by renowned Swedish illustrator Jenny Mörtsell, and will be hand-numbered in the blood of their respective band members…”
Also do improv.
I crossed myself before I crossed your lips
16) Hard Drivin’ (Weed Hounds) There is something beguiling about harsh guitars set against sweet yet snotty female vocals. 17) Still Windmills (Sky Larkin) .. and again.. 18) realize really (Lab Coast) 19) Bitchin’ (Cycle Schmeichel) Bristol band making retro noise. 20) Weekend Dudes (Ringo Deathstarr) BBC thinks they are derivative, do I care…? Seems an odd comment since all rock and roll is mining the same ground. 21) Chips Ahoy! (The Hold Steady) Another track from Boys and Girls in America . Seedy in a good way.
i got a girl and she don’t have to work
she can tell which horse is gonna finish in first
some nights the painkillers make the pain even worse
came in six lengths ahead
we spent the whole next week getting high
i love this girl but i can’t tell when she’s having a good time
how am i supposed to know that you’re high if you won’t let me touch you?
22) Real Estate (Flight) The end of the world, but in a tuneful way.